2021 Spring Meeting Minutes
2021 RLSA SPRING GENERAL MEETING MINUTES - June 7, 2021 at 8:30 PM via Zoom
- Call to order - 8:354
- Review of voting process - reminder that the 3 teams applying for membership are not able to vote until they have been accepted. Teams asked to use the “chat” functionality to show if they are opposed
- Adoption of agenda 1st: Matt Johner, 2nd: Danielle Swartz, carried.
- Adoption of minutes from 2020 Fall League meeting. Review on league website reginaladiessoftball.ca under ‘About Us/Meeting Minutes’. 1st: Debbie Tanner, 2nd: Jolene Sentes, carried.
- Applications for Membership
- Southeast Supernovas U19 (Carlyle/Alameda) - Not many U19 teams in the area so wanting to join Regina. Team has played in a number of Western Championships.
- Anonymous (East Central SK) - Ladies have played ball for many years and many have played in RLSA in past years. Participated in many tournaments.
- Falcons (Regina) - Coming from Regina Minor Softball League.
All above teams have their performance bonds in.
Motion to accept all three teams to the RLSA: 1st: Shauna Hubick; 2nd: Rod Hauk. All teams accepted and can now vote on remainder of the meeting items.
6. League Structure
- Divisional structure
- Div I -7 teams (Sleek, Kaos, Pride, Earl Grey, Rampage, Supernovas, Iskotew)
- Div II - 8 teams (Dbacks, Elite, Vipers, Thunder, Bomb Squad, Rage, Rise, Riot),
- Div III -7 teams (Dakota, Rebels, Storm, Falcons, Pasqua, Power, Anonymous).
2. Regular season format and start date - 12 game regular season, June 14-July 29
3. Playoff format - to be determined depending on number of teams. Options are two game guarantee or double knockout. To be played in August.
- Format will be dependant on the number of teams playing.
- Need to set a date for teams to commit. Motion to set the commitment date for Friday, July 16th 1st: Debbie Tanner, 2nd: Tyler Gerard. Carried.
- No playoffs games can be rescheduled unless due to weather or if requested and granted by the Executive.
7. Umpire Fees
- No change from 2020 fee of $45/umpire/game
- Motion for fees to remain the same as 2020: 1st Jolene Sentes, 2nd: Debbie Tanner. Carried.
8. League Fees
- $1,500 ($975 league, $275 affiliation, $250 bingo workers expense) due by Sunday, June 13th.
- Reminder that you can send an email transfer if preferred.
- Motion to set the league fees at $1500: 1st: Danielle Swartz; 2nd: Susan Gowans.
9. General Operating Rules update & review. Rules have be reviewed on league website under ‘About Us’.
- 3K - Registration of Players
- A team will be allowed to use a maximum of two substitute Affiliated Players in regular season league games. Substitutes will not be allowed in the playoff games.
- A team will be allowed only 5 games in which to use Affiliated Players if the team plays a full regular season schedule. A team will be allowed only 3 games in which to use Affiliated Players if the team plays a half regular season schedule
- To be eligible as an AP, the player must be affiliated with Softball Sask. These Affiliated Players must be at least 16 years of age as of Dec 31 of the current playing year.
- League teams can use players from a lower Division as AP players. The AP players can play any position.
- League teams can use players from the same Division as AP players. The AP players cannot play in the pitching or catching position.
- The team representative must obtain permission from the coach of the AP before contacting the AP to play in an upcoming game. Just prior to the game the AP(s) must be identified on the lineup card and the opposing coach advised. The AP players(s) cannot be in the starting lineup if there are a minimum of nine regular team players available to start the game.
- 5A - Ground Rules
- All games shall start at 6:45 P.M. Failure of a team to have more than seven players at the scheduled diamond will result in the game being a default.
- Games can start at 6:45 P.M. if a team has a minimum of eight players at the scheduled diamond. Failure of a team to have a minimum of nine players at the scheduled diamond at 7:00 P.M. will result in the game being a default. This means the non-offending team will be declared the winner, with a score of 7 - 0, regardless of the score of the game at 7:00 P.M.
- A team starting a game with eight players, must list the players in the first eight batting positions on the line-up card. When the ninth player enters the game, she must be added in the ninth batting position. The ninth player can enter the game once she is added to the line-up card.
- When a team playing with eight players goes on offence, an automatic out will be marked on the scoresheet prior to the first batter of the inning coming to bat. The team will have two outs remaining in the inning. The automatic out is not an out of any of the eight players in the lineup.
All games will be seven innings, but will be called as completed after 2.5 or 3 complete innings if a team is winning by a minimum of fifteen runs; or after 3.5 or 4 complete innings if a team is winning by a minimum of 10 runs; or after 4.5, 5, 5.5, or 6 complete innings if a team is winning by a minimum of seven runs in Division I and Division II. In Division III, games will be called as completed after 4.5, 5, 5.5, or 6 complete innings if a team is winning by a minimum of seven runs In all divisions Extra innings will be played until a tie is broken or until the home plate umpire calls the game. The international tie-breaker rule will be used immediately.
For games starting at 6:45 P.M., no new inning shall start after 8:30 PM. For the second game of a double header being played under the lights, no new inning shall start after 10:45 P.M.
If a team does not have enough players for a game, they must notify the Division Representative, opposing team, and Publicity Director/Statistician 24 hours in advance of game time. The Division Representative will notify the umpire-in-chief, groundskeeper, and Vice-President.
Publicity Director/Statistician: Matt Johner - 306-533-9337
There is no room in the schedule for make up games during the week so any games would need to be made up during the weekend.
What if both teams want to move the game, can they talk to the league to play for a weekend? That is an option to contact the league and see if we can arrange umpires and groundskeepers.
Can games be made up in another location, such as Earl Grey? Could be a possibility but would want to make sure that there are certified umpires.
7C - GENERAL
Each team is allowed to cancel two game nights which are to be rescheduled as soon as practical. A third cancelled game night will be treated as a default. This means a double header is considered one game night.
10. Election of Division Rep
Executive made a request to the teams to talk to their players/parents to see if anyone would be willing to take on the roll for the season.
11. Douglas Park and Bingo updates
- Trees have been trimmed & water valves fixed. Bleachers & pitching bullpens to be repaired.
- Bingos will resume on June 20th. RLSA dates are July 2 & 16 and August 6 & 20
12. Review of RLSA Return to Play Document
- Can resume outdoor play, no inter-provincial tournaments.
- Masks are not mandatory but are welcome.
- Recommended to maintain physical distancing where possible, minimal use of shared equipment.
- Ensure that all players/coaches/spectators do not attend if not feeling well. If are going for a COVID test or test positive for COVID, to notify the RLSA President to ensure that as a league we can make decisions to keep all safe
- Players/coaches are still required to sign in with the designated Safety Manager for all games and practices. The sign-in sheets for practices needs to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and text 306-539-4943 to notify the payment has been sent.
- Based on Softball Saskatchewan guidelines there is no requirement to contact trace for spectators*
- Balls will be brought to the diamonds by the umpires to be used when you are on defense.
- Each team will be provided sanitizing spray to clean bats and balls.
- No throwing the ball around the infield, no high fives, no hand shaking.
- Determine whether the 150-person count applies to each diamond or whether it includes the whole facility. It was stated that you need to get a SHA person out to survey the facility prior to authorizing any more than 150 (determine number of exits, space, etc).
- *Clarify for sure who we need to contact trace for (do we need to for spectators)
13. Review of Team Responsibilities
- Occupy the first base dugout
- Scoresheets: to be completed by the Home team each game. Write the winning and losing pitchers name on the score sheet.
- Put away equipment in the storage shed by diamond 4
- Last teams on the diamonds to end the night needs to lock the storage bin
- Text Matt Johner at 306-533-9337 right after the game noting the score, the winning and loser pitcher and any home runs (and the team they play with)
- Ensure that all players have photo ID with them at the diamond in case there are any disputes over eligibility.
14. Other Business
- Information line - 1 team in favour of cancelling. No response from rest of teams.
- City of Regina Smoking Bylaw - The bylaw prohibits smoking and vaping on all City-owned or controlled land. This includes Douglas Park.
- Available players - no teams looking for players at this time.
- Practice Health & Safety Sign In Sheets - make sure if you have a practice, the health & safety sign in needs to be sent to email@example.com.
- Waivers - some teams have not yet provided their waivers and Sarah has followed up on a number of occasions. If these are not in, you will not be playing you first game and it would be considered a default.
- Schedule Review - Was sent out for Monday, June 14th to the end of June. Effort was made to fairly allocate the diamonds and accommodate the schedule requests.
- Softball Canada Age Change - effective 2022. Right now most age categories are based on the even numbers (U6, U8, U10, etc.). Will change to U7, U9, U11, U13, U15, U17, etc. In the Fall, the RLSA will need to make an amendment to our constitution to adjust our minimum age.
- Impact for players will now wait an extra year and play U17 (RMSL).
- Package Pick Up: scheduled for Monday, June 14th at Douglas Park building (West Side) between 6:00-8:00. Provided scorebook, line up cards, sanitizer, copies of the schedule, contact lists. If you cannot pick it up then contact Brenda to make other arrangements.
- Respect in Sport: Any coach listed on the roster has to have a RIS number.
Motion to adjourn the meeting: 1st: Debbie Tanner; 2nd: Jolene Sentes.