2019 Fall Meeting Minutes


2019 RLSA FALL General Meeting

November 12, 2019

 

  1. Call to order

 

  1. Adoption of agenda: 1st : Tyler Gerard , 2nd: Darryl Cook

 

  1. Adoption of minutes from Spring 2019 Meeting - 1st: Debbie Tanner, 2nd: Steven Macknak;

 

  1. 2020 Women’s National Championships - presented by Sue Gowans

 

  • Put in a bid to host Nationals from August 9-13
  • Women’s “Open”
  • Contacted Tourism Regina who put together a bid package and RMSL won the bid
  • Will be hosted at Regina Minor diamonds (with access to Kaplan and Douglas Park if needed)
  • There was concern for Saskatchewan to have 4 teams in attendance (with a host from Regina)
  • The hope is that we can all come together and support this as a Regina softball community
  • Committee will be established and will commence work in early 2020
  • Fundraising opportunities available for things like scorekeeping, canteens, beer gardens, etc.

 

Coaching Certifications

  • To coach a team at Nationals at this point you just need one coach that has the Introduction to Competition “level 2”. Softball Canada is making a proposal to change it to every coach on the roster to have their Introduction to Competition.
  • Coaching clinics are usually set for the spring (in Saskatoon and one in Regina)
  • To get Certified:
    • Attend 2 weekends of classroom and practicum then complete an assessment
    • No need to compete level 1, can jump right to level II

 

  1. Treasurer’s report - As presented by Brenda Anderson
    • Increase in diamond maintenance due to fencing repairs. 50% was paid from general account with the other 50% paid from the bingo account
    • Increase in water costs due to repairs to the sprinkler system
    • Costs to switch provider of website

Motion to accept the report as presented: 1st: Don Beattie, 2nd: Danielle Swartz

 

  1. Bingo report/Worker Update
    • Brenda provided dates if teams want to work a bingo. Dates are listed on the website.
    • “Chase the Ace” game is being played at bingos. At this time, we do not need to provide an additional worker however, this may change.  50% of the revenue goes back to the charity.

Motion to accept the bingo report as presented: 1st: Darryl Cook, 2nd: Leigh Fuessel

 

  1. Douglas Park review
    • Diamond 4 added a mound to the pitching bullpens
    • Thanks to Bruce Mathewson for adding some large signs for the diamonds that are visible from the road
    • Executive proposed suggestions for next season (result of the Executive Meeting):
      1. Extending backstops on additional diamonds
      2. Work on the bullpens to make usable
    • Suggestion from the Teams in attendance
      • Trim the trees that overhand the fields - Brenda did make a request of the City but it needs to go for approval
      • Work done on the infields: felt that the diamonds were rough to start due to the limited water and rain to start the season but by the end it was better
        • Could use more dragging/grading to allow the water to drain better
      • Work on Diamond 4 pitching mound 

 

  1. 2019 Season review:

 a) Division structure

Division I - 6 teams

Division II - 9 teams

Division III - 8 teams (with 2 playing half schedule)

  • Appeared to be much more parity among the teams in each of the divisions

 

b) Rescheduling games

c) Default games (15) & reimbursement, performance bonds

 Not much improvement from last season even with amended rules allowing for an extra default game

d) League tournament

A side was good competition with final game going into extra innings

B side only had 4 teams

e) League playoffs - double knockout in all divisions

Division I - 5 of 6 teams

Division II - 8 of 9 teams

Division III - 4 of 8 teams

 f) Affiliation process

  • Process/forms completion was better than the prior year
    • When the spreadsheet is sent out please pay attention to the format that is on the sheet and enter as outlined as it saves Registrar from having to manually correct
  • Handout provided to outline the “Respect in Sport” requirement for all coaches and managers
  • Process for 2020 will likely remain the same as 2019

 g) Umpires

  • Only a couple “1” umpire games
  • A bit of a concern with the aging of our umpires and recruiting new ones
  • If you know of anyone that is interested in becoming an umpire please reach out to Ian Bowers (email/phone on website)
  • Need to be 12 years old to be eligible to umpire in RMSL at certain levels
  • Clinic in Regina will be held on Sunday, April 19th

 

  1. 2020 SEASON PREVIEW - start date Sunday, May 3rd

a) RLSA tournament dates - Tentative as June 5-7 but will finalize in the coming weeks

b) Team indications:

  • RMSL had a good turnout for their evaluations so may have an extra team
  • No other indications given at the meeting

 

  1. Constitution & By-laws Amendments

a) Set performance bond amount - currently $350

  • Motion to set the performance bond at $350: 1st: Debbie Tanner; 2nd: Steven Macknak

 

b) Required updates to Constitution:

 

5B

FROM:  The executive shall consist of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Registrar, Publicity Director/Statistician, Scheduler/Tournament Coordinator and a representative from each division in the Association. The Division Representatives will be elected at the spring organizational meeting. All other executive positions will be elected at the fall annual general meeting

 

TO: The executive shall consist of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Registrar, Publicity Director/Statistician, Scheduler/Tournament Coordinator and a Division Representative. The Division Representative will be elected at the spring organizational meeting. All other executive positions will be elected at the fall annual general meeting

 

6G. Division Representative

FROM:  • shall be the liaison between teams in the division and the executive.

TO:  • shall be the liaison between teams and the executive.

 

Motion to accept proposed changes to 5B and 6G as presented: 1st: Darryl Cook; 2nd: Tyler Gerard

           

11.  General Operating Rule Amendments

  1. a) 3E - Softball Sask. is changing their affiliation deadline to May 15th.

FROM: “…Players can be added to a team roster up until May 20th via notification to the Registrar.” 

TO: “…Players can be added to a team roster up until May 8th via notification to the Registrar.” 

 Motion to accept proposed changed to 3E as presented: 1st: Sue Gowans; 2nd: Danielle Swartz

           

12.  Executive position elections - existing Executive have agreed to let their names stand

a) Vice-President - Kim Picot

b) Treasurer - Gwen Fex

c) Publicity Director/Statistician - Matt Johner

d) Scheduler/Tournament Coordinator - Ian Bowers

  • All current position holders have agreed to let their name stand
  • No nominations from the masses

        

13.  Other Business

a) Discussion on new website

  • New host is RAMP out of Edmonton
  • Easy to use and to update
  • Steven Macknak said that it was much easier to get scores/updates than prior
  • RAMP has the option to use for Team Maintenance (team availability, chats, scheduling, google maps, picture/video sharing, etc.)
    • Most teams already use some sort of maintenance apps for a fee
    • If we used RAMP for our league it would be $20 for the season per team
    • Will review at the Spring meeting

 b) Acknowledgements

  • Ladies League
    • Division I - Sleek
    • Division II - U19 Lumsden
    • Division III - Falcons
  • Women’s B Provincials - Pride - Silver
  • Women’s C Provincials - Earl Grey- Gold
  • Women’s A Provincials - Carnduff - Gold

           

c) Available player - Megan Miller - 306-529-2855, preference is 2nd, 3rd, left field

 d) Reminders

  • League fees are due 24 hours prior to the start of the season so start thinking about that and getting orders in place
  • Question about whether we will accept an e-transfer for fees
  • Roster is due prior to the season start date. Can make changes up to May 8 (when the affiliation forms are due)
    • Affiliation form provided at the meeting to start collecting the information
  • Teams are responsible for ensuring that their players are old enough to be playing in the league (must be 17)

 

Question: Why do we start playing the games so early in May?

  • Tough to get the girls going early in May with the cold weather
  • Look to cram more games into June and July
  • Risk is teams not being able to field teams for play offs
  • Ask is for teams to talk to their players about their preference and we can vote at the Spring meeting

 14.  Adjournment

Motion to adjourn the meeting: 1st: Debbie Tanner; 2nd: Danielle Swartz

Upcoming Events


Jan. 24, 2020 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM

Bingo
Centennial Bingo Hall
Team may contact Maureen Pennington, maupennington@gmail.com, to work bingo.

read more »


Feb. 07, 2020 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM

Bingo
Centennial Bingo Hall
Team may contact Maureen Pennington, maupennington@gmail.com, to work bingo.

read more »


Feb. 28, 2020 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM

Bingo
Centennial Bingo Hall
Team may contact Maureen Pennington, maupennington@gmail.com, to work bingo.

read more »


RAMP Registration

Join thousands of association partners using RAMP Registration Solutions.

Get Started

RAMP Official Assigning

#1 with Officials...for very good reasons.

Get Started

RAMP Websites

Manage your identity from the palm of your hand to the top of your desk.

Get Started

RAMP Team App

Keep your coaches, parents, athletes, and fans connected, seamlessly.

Get Started